Hi Gordon -

I have been trying out Flink 1.8 only recently. But this problem looks to
to have existed since a long time. It's related to the way Flink handles
Avro serialization, which I guess has not changed in recent times.

regards.

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 2:22 PM Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai <tzuli...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Aljoscha opened a JIRA just recently for this issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-12501.
>
> Do you know if this is a regression from previous Flink versions?
> I'm asking just to double check, since from my understanding of the issue,
> the problem should have already existed before.
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon
>
> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 3:53 PM Debasish Ghosh <ghosh.debas...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello -
>>
>> Facing an issue with avro serialization with Scala case classes generated
>> through avrohugger ..
>> Scala case classes generated by avrohugger has the avro schema in the
>> companion object. This is a sample generated class (details elided) ..
>>
>> case class Data(var id: Int, var name: String) extends
>> org.apache.avro.specific.SpecificRecordBase {
>>   def this() = this(0, "")
>>   def get(field$: Int): AnyRef = {
>>     //..
>>   }
>>   def put(field$: Int, value: Any): Unit = {
>>     //..
>>   }
>>   def getSchema(): org.apache.avro.Schema = Data.SCHEMA$
>> }
>> object Data {
>>   val SCHEMA$ = new
>> org.apache.avro.Schema.Parser().parse("{\"type\":\"record\",\"name\":\"Data\",\"namespace\":\"pipelines.flink.avro\",\"fields\":[{\"name\":\"id\",\"type\":\"int\"},{\"name\":\"name\",\"type\":\"string\"}]}")
>> }
>>
>> Flink 1.8 avro serializer fails on this as Avro looks for a SCHEMA$
>> property in the class & is unable 2 use Java reflection 2 identify the
>> SCHEMA$ in the companion object. The exception that I get is the
>> following ..
>>
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: Serializing the source elements failed:
>>> avro.shaded.com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException:
>>> org.apache.avro.AvroRuntimeException: Not a Specific class: class