Hi,

Currently, I was trying to update our kafka cluster with larger `
transaction.max.timeout.ms`. The
original setting is kafka's default value (i.e. 15 minutes) and I tried to
set as 3 hours.

When I was doing rolling-restart for my brokers, this exception came to me
on the next checkpoint
after I restarted the broker with active controller.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error while confirming checkpoint at
> org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task$2.run(Task.java:1218) at
> java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) at
> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at
> at
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) Caused by:
> org.apache.flink.util.FlinkRuntimeException: Committing one of transactions
> failed, logging first encountered failure at
> org.apache.flink.streaming.api.functions.sink.TwoPhaseCommitSinkFunction.notifyCheckpointComplete(TwoPhaseCommitSinkFunction.java:296)
> at
> org.apache.flink.streaming.api.operators.AbstractUdfStreamOperator.notifyCheckpointComplete(AbstractUdfStreamOperator.java:130)
> at
> org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.notifyCheckpointComplete(StreamTask.java:684)
> at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task$2.run(Task.java:1213) ... 5
> more Caused by: org.apache.kafka.common.errors.InvalidTxnStateException:
> The producer attempted a transactional operation in an invalid state

I have no idea why it happened, and I didn't find any error log from
brokers. Does anyone have
this exception before? How can I prevent from this exception when I tried
to restart kafka cluster?
Does this exception mean that I will lost data in some of these
transactions?

flink cluster version: 1.8.1
kafka cluster version: 1.0.1
flink kafka producer version: universal
producer transaction timeout: 15 minutes
checkpoint interval: 5 minutes
number of concurrent checkpoint: 1
max checkpoint duration before and after the exception occurred:  < 2
minutes

Best,
Tony Wei