Hi,

I am having a few issues with the Flink (v1.8.1) backpressure default
settings, which lead to poor throughput in a comparison I am doing between
Storm, Spark and Flink.

I have a setup that simulates a progressively worse straggling task that
Storm and Spark cope with the relatively well. Flink not so much. Code can
be found here - https://github.com/owenrh/flink-variance.

See this throughput chart for the an idea of how badly -
https://owenrh.me.uk/assets/images/blog/smackdown/flink-constant-straggler.png

I do not have any production experience with Flink, but I have had a look
at the Flink docs and there is nothing in there that jumps out at me to
explain or address this. I presume I am missing something, as I cannot
believe Flink is this weak in the face of stragglers. It must be
configuration right?

Would appreciate any help on this. I've got a draft blog post that I will
publish in a day or two, and don't want to criticise the Flink backpressure
implementation for what seems most likely some default configuration issue.

Thanks in advance, Owen

--
Owen Rees-Hayward
07912 876046