Thanks for your reply, Till.

As mentioned above I execute graph processing in a straight-ahead Java
standalone environment (no cluster underneath, no specific configuration except
for parallelism), just as if you simply ran the Java class I pasted upthread
with a Flink distribution JAR (plus Gelly and Slf4j/Log4j JARs) on its
classpath.

I do not know what goes on behind the scenes, but the "legacy" mode
significantly outperforms the "new" one in every single case. The new mode is a
few times slower, getting worse and worse with the increasing size of the graph.

As for setting "the maximum parallelism (== number of key groups) to a multiple
of your parallelism", could you tell me which configuration option from the
list below is it?

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.8/ops/config.html

Best,

Jakub