A while ago, I implemented XML and Json input formats. However, having
proper split support for structured formats without sync markers is not
that easy. Any split that has a random start offset need to figure out the
start of the next record on its own, which is fragile by definition.
That's why supporting jsonl files is much easier; you just need to look for
the next newline. For the same reason, supporting json or xml in Kafka is
fairly straightforward: records are already split.

It would be easier to support XML and Json if we can get of splits. @Flavio
would you expect to get inner file parallelism or would you be fine with
processing only the files in parallel?

Best,

Arvid