In practice the documentation is incorrect. While technically the metric _would_ emit -1 if the job is in a failed/finished state, the reality is that at this point the metric is unregistered and no longer updated, since the owning component (the jobmanager) is shutting down.

I can't think of a workaround for this problem at the moment.