Forgive my lack of knowledge here - I'm a bit out of my league here.

But I was wondering if allowing e.g. 1 checkpoint to fail and the reason
for which somehow caused a record to be lost (e.g. rocksdb exception /
taskmanager crash / etc), there would be no Source rewind to the last
successful checkpoint and this record would be lost forever, correct?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 17:51 Richard Deurwaarder, <rich...@xeli.eu> wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> googling a bit indicates that this might actually be a GCS problem [1, 2,
>> 3]. The proposed solution/workaround so far is to retry the whole upload
>> operation as part of the application logic. Since I assume that you are
>> writing to GCS via Hadoop's file system this should actually fall into the
>> realm of the Hadoop file system implementation and not Flink.
>>
>> What you could do to mitigate the problem a bit is to set the number of
>> tolerable checkpoint failures to a non-zero value via
>> `CheckpointConfig.setTolerableCheckpointFailureNumber`. Setting this to `n`
>> means that the job will only fail and then restart after `n` checkpoint
>> failures. Unfortunately, we do not support a failure rate yet.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/googleapis/google-cloud-java/issues/3586
>> [2] https://github.com/googleapis/google-cloud-java/issues/5704
>> [3] https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/137168102
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 6:25 PM Richard Deurwaarder <rich...@xeli.eu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We've got a Flink job running on 1.8.0 which writes its state (rocksdb)
>>> to Google Cloud Storage[1]. We've noticed that jobs with a large amount of
>>> state (500gb range) are becoming *very* unstable. In the order of
>>> restarting once an hour or even more.
>>>
>>> The reason for this instability is that we run into "410 Gone"[4] errors
>>> from Google Cloud Storage. This indicates an upload (write from Flink's
>>> perspective) took place and it wanted to resume the write[2] but could not
>>> find the file which it needed to resume. My guess is this is because the
>>> previous attempt either failed or perhaps it uploads in chunks of 67mb [3].
>>>
>>> The library logs this line when this happens:
>>>
>>> "Encountered status code 410 when accessing URL
>>> https://www.googleapis.com/upload/storage/v1/b/<project>/o?ifGenerationMatch=0&name=job-manager/15aa2391-a055-4bfd-8d82-e9e4806baa9c/8ae818761055cdc022822010a8b4a1ed/chk-52224/_metadata&uploadType=resumable&upload_id=AEnB2UqJwkdrQ8YuzqrTp9Nk4bDnzbuJcTlD5E5hKNLNz4xQ7vjlYrDzYC29ImHcp0o6OjSCmQo6xkDSj5OHly7aChH0JxxXcg.
>>> Delegating to response handler for possible retry."
>>>
>>> We're kind of stuck on these questions:
>>> * Is flink capable or doing these retries?
>>> * Does anyone succesfully write their (rocksdb) state to Google Cloud
>>> storage for bigger state sizes?
>>> * Is it possible flink renames or deletes certain directories before all
>>> flushes have been done based on an atomic guarantee provided by HDFS that
>>> does not hold on other implementations perhaps? A race condition of sorts
>>>
>>> Basically does anyone recognize this behavior?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Deurwaarder
>>>
>>> [1] We use an HDFS implementation provided by Google
>>> [2]
>>> https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/json_api/v1/status-codes#410_Gone
>>> [3]