From:Congxian Qiu <qcx978132...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2020 Mar. 28 (Sat.) 11:49
To:Lu Niu <qqib...@gmail.com>
Cc:user <user@flink.apache.org>
Subject:Re: End to End Latency Tracking in flink

Hi
As far as I know, the latency-tracking feature is for debugging usages, you can
use it to debug, and disable it when running the job on production.
From my side, use $current_processing - $event_time is something ok, but keep
the things in mind: the event time may not be the time ingested in Flink.

Best,
Congxian

Lu Niu <qqib...@gmail.com> 于2020年3月28日周六 上午6:25写道:

Hi,

I am looking for end to end latency monitoring of link job. Based on my study,
I have two options:

1. flink provide a latency tracking feature. However, the documentation says it
cannot show actual latency of business logic as it will bypass all operators.
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.10/monitoring/metrics.html#latency-tracking
 Also, the feature can significantly impact the performance so I assume it's
not for usage in production. What are users use the latency tracking for?
Sounds like only back pressure could affect the latency.

2. I found another stackoverflow question on this.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56578919/latency-monitoring-in-flink-application
 . The answer suggestion to expose (current processing - the event time) after
source and before sink for end to end latency monitoring. Is this a good
solution? If not, What’s the official solution for end to end latency tracking?

Thank you!

Best
Lu