Hi Seth,
I would like to piggyback on this question :)

You wrote:
"I would strongly encourage you to create one instance of your object per
ProcessFunction, inside of open. That would be one instance per slot which
is not equal to the parallelism of your operator."

Especially the second part "That would be one instance per slot which is not
equal to the parallelism of your operator"

For my understanding the number of processFunction instances is equal to the
parallelism level of this operator. Paralleled instances are not deployed on
the same task slot, therefore if you create objects in open() method then
you will have as many objects as there are processFunction instances which
in my understanding is equal to the parallelism level for this operator.

Thanks,