Hi Cliff,

On 14.04.20 19:29, Cliff Resnick wrote
I'm wondering how this could be possible. The only explanation I can think
of is:

4. on "endTime" timer key state is purged.
5 --- job fail ---
6.  job restarted on 2.5 hour old Savepoint
7.  watermark regresses (?) from "endTime" watermark.
8. a long tail event squeaks through under temporarily backdated watermark
9. data store data for key is replaced with long tail data,

Is the above possible, or perhaps there is another possible scenario? Any
opinions appreciated!
Yes, I'm quite sure this is possible. The reason is that watermarks are *not* checkpointed at operators but are purely driven by data that comes through. When a pipeline is (re)started all operators will have -Inf as the current watermark, even when starting from a checkpoint/savepoint.

We didn't (so far) want to checkpoint the watermark because this would introduce additional complexity in handling that state. All operators would be stateful, and it's not trivial (though certainly possible) to determine the watermark of an operator in a scale in/out scenario.

Is this a big problem for you?

Btw, there's this Jira issue about a symptom of this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5601. You can see that the discussion fizzled out from my side, mostly because of the mentioned complexities. But it might be that we need to try and find a solution for this.

Best,
Aljoscha