Hi to all,
many times it happens that we use Flink as a broker towards the data layer
but we need to be able to get some specific info from the data sources we
use (i.e. get triggers and relationships from jdbc).
The quick and dirty way of achieving this is to run a Flink job that calls
another service to store the required info. Another solution could be to
add a custom REST service that contains a lot of dependencies already
provided by Flink, with the risk of having misaligned versions between the
2..
It would be much simpler to enable users to add custom REST services to
Flink in a configurable file. something like:
/myservice1/* -> com.example.MyRestService1
/myservice2/* -> com.example.MyRestService2

The listed classes should be contained in a jar within the Flink lib dir
and should implement a common interface.
In order to avoid path collisions with already existing FLINK services, the
configured path can be further prefixed with some other token (e.g.
/userapi/*).

What do you think about this? Does it sound reasonable to you?
Am I the only one that thinks this could be useful for many use cases?

Best,
Flavio