Hi Joe,

The main effect this should have is more state to be kept until the windows
can be fired (and state purged).
This would of course increase the time it takes to checkpoint the operator.

I'm not sure if there will be significant runtime per-record impact caused
by how windows are bookkeeped in data structures in the WindowOperator,
maybe Aljoscha (cc'ed) can chime in here for anything.
If it is certain that these windows will never fire (until far into the
future) because the event-timestamps are in the first place corrupted, then
it might make sense to have a way to drop windows based on some criteria.
I'm not sure if that is supported in any way without triggers (since you
mentioned that those windows might not receive any data), again Aljoscha
might be able to provide more info here.

Cheers,
Gordon