Hi,

That in general is not a good idea, with the problem you mentioned as well
as the fact that the state you
query within the same job using queryable state does not provide any means
of consistency guarantee.

When it comes to "querying state from another operator", it is a hint that
your use case can potentially be
better modeled using the Stateful Functions framework [1]. With Stateful
Functions, you would model this
as a request message to the target function, with the target function
replying a response carrying its state.
There are still other shortcomings though, for example StateFun currently
doesn't support windowed state yet.

Cheers,
Gordon

[1] https://flink.apache.org/stateful-functions.html