Hi Bhaskar,

> Why the reset counter is not zero after streaming job restart is successful?

The short answer is that the fixed delay restart strategy is not
implemented like that (see [1] if you are using Flink 1.10 or above).
There are also other systems that behave similarly, e.g., Apache
Hadoop YARN (see yarn.resourcemanager.am.max-attempts).

If you have such a requirement, you can try to approximate it using
the failure rate restart strategy [2]. Resetting the attempt counter
to zero after a successful restart cannot be easily implemented with
the current RestartBackoffTimeStrategy interface [3]; for this to be
possible, the strategy would need to be informed if a restart was
successful. However, it is not clear what constitutes a successful
restart. For example, is it sufficient that enough TMs/slots could be
acquired to run the job? The job could still fail afterwards due to a
bug in user code. Could it be sufficient to require all tasks to
produce at least one record? I do not think so because the job could
still fail deterministically afterwards due to a particular record.

Best,
Gary

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/d1292b5f30508e155d0f733527532d7c671ad263/flink-runtime/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/runtime/executiongraph/failover/flip1/FixedDelayRestartBackoffTimeStrategy.java#L29
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.10/dev/task_failure_recovery.html#failure-rate-restart-strategy
[3]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/d1292b5f30508e155d0f733527532d7c671ad263/flink-runtime/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/runtime/executiongraph/failover/flip1/RestartBackoffTimeStrategy.java#L23