Hi Tim,

You are correct, currently the argument to a remote function must be a
Protobuf Any, however StateFun doesn't interpret the contents of that Any,
and it would be passed as-is to the remote function.
As you mentioned in your email you can interpret the bytes as the bytes of
a JSON string.

I hope it helps,
Igal.