Hi, Rai

> What are my options to still write to Kafka?  I don't mind introducing
> another boolean/etc field in the Kafka output records containing the
> row kind or similar info.

The recommended way is use `upset-kafka`[1] connector which you can write
insert/update/retract message to a
compacted kafka topic and read insert/update/retract messages from this topic
as well. It’s a new feature since 1.12,
there’s no options to control write boolean/etc fields before 1.12 version,
because the boolean flag(rowkind) is not exposed to users.

> The first workaround that I tried is to convert the table to
> ```
> TableException: Unsupported conversion from data type 'INTERVAL
> SECOND(3) NOT NULL' (conversion class: java.time.Duration) to type
> information. Only data types that originated from type information
> fully support a reverse conversion.
> ```

Your first workaround should have been worked, but looks like an exception was
thrown in Type conversion phase, could you share you table schema and query
that can reproduce the issue.

Best,
Leonard
[1]