Hi,

> I read this as, "The offsets committed to Kafka are ignored, the offsets
committed within a checkpoint are used".

yes, exactly

> So from the sounds of things, regardless of the consumer group's offsets,
it will always start from a checkpoint or savepoints offsets if there are
some (unless checkpointing offsets is turned off).

Yes. But, keep in mind this part:

> setStartFromGroupOffsets (default behaviour): Start reading partitions
from the consumer group’s (group.id setting in the consumer properties)
committed offsets in Kafka brokers.* If offsets could not be found for a
partition, the auto.offset.reset setting in the properties will be used.*

As I understand it, if you are using the default
`setStartFromGroupOffsets`, and you happen to change `group.id` (which is
what I believe you were asking about in the first e-mail), after changing
the `group.id` FlinkKafkaConsumer will not be able to found previously
saved offsets in the Flink's state and it will start reading from
completely new set of offsets. The same way as if this would be a freshly
started new job without any state. Those new offsets would be as
specified/defined via `auto.offset.reset`.

Piotrek