Thank you.

Checkpoints timeout often, even though the timeout limit is 20 minutes. The
volume of records in our processing window that require checkpointing is
large (between 200000 and 2 million). I made the assumption that Flink
would batch a blob of bytes to S3, and not create an S3 call per record. Is
this assumption correct?

I need to look into whether I am being rate-limited by amazon. I assumed
that a rate limiting error would have bubbled up as an error in the logs. I
will find a way to assure that error is logged or captured somehow.

How would backpressure come into play during checkpointing? I would expect
Amazon to have enough resources. When I turn my sink (the next operator)
into a print, it fails during checkpointing as well.

I will explore what you mentioned though. Thank you.