Hi,

FWIW, there is this JIRA that is tracking a pubsub / broadcast messaging
primitive in StateFun:

This is probably what you are looking for. And I do agree, in the case that
the control stream (which updates the application logic) is high volume,
redeploying functions may not work well.

I don't think there really is a "recommended" way of doing the "broadcast
control stream, join with main stream" pattern with StateFun at the moment,
at least without FLINK-16319.
On the other hand, it could be possible to use stateful functions to
implement a pub-sub model in user space for the time being. I've actually
left some ideas for implementing that in the comments of FLINK-16319.

Cheers,
Gordon