Hey Rion,

I had exactly the same problem and implemented this functionality in
my Flink fork with XA sink taken from the development branch.
As I see that it's not only my problem, I've created a Jira task for
it - FLINK-21643 - and will provide draft PR for it.

@David - for traditional relational databases even a relatively small
number of connections can be unreasonable here.

Thanks,
Maciej