There was a similar discussion recently in this mailing list about
distributing the work onto different TaskManagers. One finding Xintong
shared there [1] was that the parameter cluster.evenly-spread-out-slots is
used to evenly allocate slots among TaskManagers but not how the tasks are
actually distributed among the allocated slots. It would be interesting to
know more about your job. If the upstream operator does some shuffling, you
might run into the issue of the task executions not being distributed
evenly anymore.

Matthias

[1]
http://apache-flink-user-mailing-list-archive.2336050.n4.nabble.com/Evenly-Spreading-Out-Source-Tasks-tp42108p42235.html