Hi,

The flink official document clearly states that "Simple mutual
authentication may be enabled by configuration if authentication of
connections to the REST endpoint is required, but we recommend to deploy a
“side car proxy”: Bind the REST endpoint to the loopback interface (or the
pod-local interface in Kubernetes) and start a REST proxy that
authenticates and forwards the requests to Flink. Examples for proxies that
Flink users have deployed are Envoy Proxy <https://www.envoyproxy.io/> or NGINX
with MOD_AUTH
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_auth_request_module.html>."

So I am wondering, in standalone mode when HA is not enabeld, when a rest
proxy like nginx is used, and rest endpoint is bind to the loopback
interface, how should we submit jobs remotely?

ps.

1. sample flink-conf.yaml settings, and nginx settings are as below showing:

rest.bind-port: 9091/rest.bind-address: 127.0.0.1 (this is the port and ip
where the rest endpoint bind itself to in the host where it is started)

rest.port: 9091/rest.address: 127.0.0.1 (this is the port and ip used by
rest clients when submit requests, so basically it should reach the above
rest.bind-port/rest.bind-address)

[image: image.png]

2. I know that we can use curl to request the nginx proxy, which
authenticates and forwards the request to flink, as below showing: curl -v
-u user1:user1 http://10.20.39.43:8080/config (which is the address where
nginx is listening to)

3. I know that  we can submit jobs from the host where job manager is
located, as below showing:

/opt/flink-1.12.2/bin/flink run -m 127.0.0.1:9091
/opt/flink-1.12.2/examples/batch/WordCount.jar --input /tmp/README.txt
--output /tmp/flink.test.txt11  ()

Thanks!
--
Best Regards