Hi Tony,

I think you are right that Flink's cli does not behave super consistent at
the moment. Case 2. should definitely work because `-t yarn-application`
should overwrite what is defined in the Flink configuration. The problem
seems to be that we don't resolve the configuration wrt the specified
command line options before calling into `CustomCommandLine.isActive`. If
we parsed first the command line configuration options which can overwrite
flink-conf.yaml options and then replaced them, then the custom command
lines (assuming that they use the Configuration as the ground truth) should
behave consistently.

For your questions:

1. I am not 100% sure. I think the FlinkYarnSessionCli wasn't used on
purpose when introducing the yarn application mode.
2. See answer 1.

I think it is a good idea to extend the description of the config option
`execution.target`. Do you want to create a ticket and a PR for it?

Cheers,
Till