Hi Timo,
Thank you for the response.

The tables being created in reality are based on arbitrary SQL code such
that I don't know what the schema actually is to create the TypeInformation
"by hand" and pass it on to the DataStream API.

This leaves me with option 1, which leads to another question: If I have
some state records stored in RocksDB from a current running job in a
previous Flink version (1.9.3), will changing the TypeInformation from
TypeInformation[Row] to the ExternalTypeInformation now break the
compatibility of the state currently stored and cause them to be losed
essentially? My guy feeling says yes unless some form of backwards
compatibility is going to be written specifically for the usecase.