Hi lenduha,

> When set the time characteristics to ProcessingTime via
setStreamTimeCharacteristic(...) call, I cannot see watermarks in the Flink
UI.

The watermark would be swallowed in the case.

> can I use Event Time Timers even if I set the
time characteristics to ProcessingTime (via
ctx.timerService().registerEventTimeTimer(...))?

I'm afraid not.  The event time Timers could not work after setting
ProcessingTime by setStreamTimeCharacteristic,
because the watermark should be swallowed in the case, so the event time
timers would not be triggered.

> when I set the time characteristics to Event Time can I use both
processing time timers & event time timers without any problem?

Event time timers could work, of course. Besides, explicitly using
processing-time windows and timers works in event-time mode.
Please note that In Flink1.12, the default stream time characteristic has
been changed to EventTime [1].

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.13/release-notes/flink-1.12/#flip-134-batch-execution-for-the-datastream-api

Best regards,