Hello,
I am having trouble with a Flink job which is configured using a RocksDB state
backend.

Tl;dr: How can I debug the key serialization for RocksDB MapState for a
deployed Flink job?

Details:

When I “put” a key/value pair into a MapState, and then later try to “get”
using a key which has the same hashCode/equals as what I put in, I get back
“null”.

Some things I have verified:

  *   Looping over the “keys()” or “entries()” of the MapState contains the
expected key (which matches both hashCode and equals)
  *   If I “put” the same key that I’m attempting to “get” with, and then look
at the “entries”, then both of the keys appear in the map.

I think I understand that the RocksDB version of MapState will use the
serialized keys, however I have tested what I think is the serializer and it
returns the same serialization for both objects.

How can I find out the serialized values that are being used for key
comparison? Can you recommend any possible solutions or debugging strategies
that would help?

Thank you,
Tom