From: Kaymak, Tobias <tobias.kay...@ricardo.ch>
Sent: Freitag, 24. September 2021 14:53
To: user <user@flink.apache.org>
Subject: Upgrading from 1.11.3 -> 1.13.1 - random jobs stays in "CREATED"state,
then fails with Slot request bulk is not fulfillable!

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade our Flink cluster from version 1.11.3 -> 1.13.1
We use it to execute over 40 pipelines written in Apache Beam 2.32.0.

While moving the pipelines one-by-one over to the new cluster I noticed at some
point that it did not start a new pipeline after I moved about 20.

4 TM with 8 slots are running, giving 32 slots to run things.

When I kill the jobmanager pod to make it reload the config, a random pipeline
is then stuck in the CREATED state. No log is shown but after some minutes it's
visible that:

Slot request bulk is not fulfillable! Could not allocate the required slot
within slot request timeout

I found this post:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flink-issues/202106.mbox/%3cjira.13382840.1623216280000.576520.1623246960...@atlassian.jira%3E

However, I am running the official Docker images of Flink, TM and JM are in
sync.

I checked that there is no memory pressure on TM and JM:
[cid:image001.png@01D7B50B.6E949D20]
[cid:image002.png@01D7B50B.6E949D20]

Any advice on how to debug this situation?

jobmanager.memory.heap.size: 3500m
jobmanager.memory.jvm-overhead.max: 1536m
jobmanager.memory.process.size: 5gb
jobmanager.memory.off-heap.size: 512m
jobmanager.memory.jvm-metaspace.size: 512m

taskmanager.memory.process.size: 54gb
taskmanager.memory.jvm-metaspace.size: 2gb
taskmanager.memory.task.off-heap.size: 2gb

Best,
Tobi
Diese Nachricht ist ausschliesslich für den Adressaten bestimmt und beinhaltet
unter Umständen vertrauliche Mitteilungen. Da die Vertraulichkeit von
e-Mail-Nachrichten nicht gewährleistet werden kann, übernehmen wir keine
Haftung für die Gewährung der Vertraulichkeit und Unversehrtheit dieser
Mitteilung. Bei irrtümlicher Zustellung bitten wir Sie um Benachrichtigung per
e-Mail und um Löschung dieser Nachricht sowie eventueller Anhänge. Jegliche
unberechtigte Verwendung oder Verbreitung dieser Informationen ist streng
verboten.

This message is intended only for the named recipient and may contain
confidential or privileged information. As the confidentiality of email
communication cannot be guaranteed, we do not accept any responsibility for the
confidentiality and the intactness of this message. If you have received it in
error, please advise the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and
any attachments. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this information is
strictly prohibited.