I think you're misinterpreting my comment.

Independent from the repo split we should only keep the connectors in the Flink project that we actively maintain.
The rest we might as well just drop.
If some external people are interested in maintaining these connectors then there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

For example, I don't think our Cassandra connector is neither in good shape nor appears to be a big priority. I would not mind us dropping it (== or moving it into some external repo, to me that's all the same).
Kafka would be a different story.