Dear list,

there have been some discussions and activities in the last months about a Scala free runtime which should make it possible to use newer Scala version (>= 2.13 / 3.x) on the application side.

Stephan Ewen announced the implementation is on the way [1] and Martijn Vissr mentioned in the ask me anything session on version 1.14 that it is planned to make this possible in the upcoming 1.15 version (~ next February ) [2]

This would be very nice for our currently started project where we are discussing the used tools and infrastructure. "Personally" I would prefer that people with less experience on the JVM could make their start and first experiences with a "pythonized" Scala using the last versions of the language (2.13.x or maybe 3.x).

My question: Do you think your plans to provide the possibility of a Scala free runtime with the upcoming version is still realistic?

Out of curiosity: If you can make this possible and applications with current Scala versions are going to use the Java APIs of Flink what's the future of the current Scala API of Flink where you have to decide to use either Scala 2.11 or <2.12.8?
Is this then still possible as an alternative?

Thanks for some hints for our planning and decisions

Günter

[1] https://twitter.com/data_fly/status/1415012793347149830
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wODmlow0ip0

--