Hi all,

I have a 1.14 Flink streaming workflow with many stateful functions that has a
FsStateBackend and checkpointed enabled, although I haven't set a location for
the checkpointed state.

I've really struggled to understand how I can stop my Flink job and restart it
and ensure it carries off exactly where is left off by using the state or
checkpoints or savepoints. This is not clearly explained in the book or the web
documentation.

Since I have no control over my Flink job id I assume I can not force Flink to
pick up the state recorded under the jobId directory for the FsStateBackend.
Therefore I think​ Flink should read back in the last checkpointed data but I
don't understand how to force my program to read this in? Do I use retained
checkpoints or not? How can I force my program either use the last checkpointed
state (e.g. when running from my IDE, starting and stopping the program) or
maybe force it not to read in the state and start completely fresh?

The web documentation talks about bin/flink but I am running from my IDE so I
want my Java code to control this progress using the Flink API in Java.

Can anyone give me some basic pointers as I'm obviously missing something
fundamental on how to allow my program to be stopped and started without losing
all the state.

Many thanks,

James.