Yep, I agree with that, but I guess losing the first-class citizen status
within Flink will make many companies currently in doubt finally adopt
Java. For non-FP shops or companies without a strong command of Scala,
using Java will simplify things in general and avoid some unnecessary pains
(hiring & training). Although possible, IMO using Scala without the
required serialization support for its specific types nor a nice API
wrapper feels a bit artificial and awkward, especially once Java 17 is
supported, and I don't think it is worth it for most cases.

Salva

On 2022/10/05 19:26:49 David Anderson wrote:
> I want to clarify one point here, which is that modifying jobs written in
> Scala to use Flink's Java API does not require porting them to Java. I can
> readily understand why folks using Scala might rather use Java 17 than
Java