From: "Chinthakrindi, Rakesh" <rakc...@amazon.com>
Date: Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 5:15 PM
To: "user@flink.apache.org" <user@flink.apache.org>
Cc: "GUPTA, GAURAV" <ga...@amazon.com>, "Bhandage, Ram" <bhand...@amazon.com>,
"Potey, Swapnil" <swa...@amazon.com>
Subject: First Flink Embedded Stateful Functions taking long to get invoked

Hi team,

We are exploring flink stateful
function<https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-statefun-docs-release-3.2/>
for one of our use case. As part of feasibility test, we are doing load testing
to determine the time spent by flink app orchestrating the functions (E2E
request latency - time spent by each stateful function). We have deployed
sample flink app on AWS KDA, with 10 embedded stateful functions connected
sequentially each doing dummy work (10ms thread sleep).

We found some interesting insight where time spent from receiving the input to
invoking of first embedded stateful function is very high compared to e2e time
spent across invoking stateful functions.

With 100TPS load, e2e time spent in orchestrating functions is around P99
2044ms and e2e orchestration time without time spent in invoking first function
is P99 14ms, and there was no FLINK back pressure and CPU usage was less than
100% overall during the experiment.

Can someone help with the following queries?

  *   Is it expected for flink app to take considerable time to invoke first
stateful function after receiving an request from input stream (kinesis in our
case)?
  *   Is there any way to fasten the invoking of first stateful function?
  *   Any pointer on how to control request to be processed by only one host
irrespective of no. of stateful functions the requests have to processed?

Thanks
Rakesh