Will the following not do what you want?
$> forrest site -Dproject.skin=krysalis-site

You'd have to rename the directory after each build if you wanted to
compare side by side.  I couldn't find a property to change the
build-directory on the command line but I don't doubt that it exists
too.

As for your number 2, skinconf.xml will allow you to customize most things.

--tim