It sounds like your predecessor may have customized the sitemap
(broken pipelines) and maybe the skin?  Have you gone through the
0.5->0.6 upgrade then the 0.6->0.7 updgrade and are still having these
issues?  It looks like these two documents show how to bring old ways
of doing things (e.g. direct sitemap changing) to new ways (e.g.
plugin/project-level sitemap).  To your other question, it sounds like
you have "installed" it correctly just need to figure out what was
done and recreate it in 0.7.

Take a look at these:
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_60/upgrading_06.html
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/upgrading_07.html

Given your issues, you may want to pay particular attention to finding
a skin that is most like yours if it doesn't still exist and
investigate any local changes to the *.xmap (specifically looking for
a **.doc match?)

--tim