On 3/16/06, Woods, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> Here is, at least, part of the puzzle:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/XMLDBTransformer?highlight=%28xindice%29.  I'll
> share a few of my conclusions and welcome anyone on the list to chime in with
> comments or suggestions. I realize that this post may seem to be more of a
> cocoon or xindice post at times but because the site is ultimately built
> using forrest I think it's appropriate to post to this list.

Have you had a look at:
http://www.cocooncenter.org/articles/xindice.html ?  Not sure if it
helps but it sounds like you're querying and not updating so using the
psuedo-protocol in a generator would be more what you're looking for.
Though I really have no clue because I've never reallly looked into it
- just saw that article and thought it may be of use to you if you
hadn't seen it already.

> Everything that follows assumes that forrest 0.7 is in use.
>
> I have a very lengthy XML file that is validated to a DTD.  This file is to
> be the source for a forrest site.  It appeals to me to let forrest handle all
> the presentation issues as this will leave me free to focus on the XML data
> thus freeing me from the drudgery of building, scripting, and tweaking a web
> ui (or it will if I ever figure this out).  I want to be able to update
> xindice as needed and not have to tinker with the rest of the site.
>
> The XML file is about 1.7 MB in size.  Reading through the Xindice site, I
> have concluded that it is best to break this file up into smaller chunks
> before adding it to the xmldb.
>
> Next, I'm using cocoon 2.1.8 which has xindice bundled with it.  I haven't
> sorted out how to add my XML documents to the bundled xindice.  Using xindice
> as a stand-alone, I simply do startup.bat in $XINDICE_HOME and use the
> command line to add my documents.  At the moment, I'm confused about how to
> "start" the xindice bundle within cocoon as I can't find the startup.bat
> file.  Anyway, that's minor, I'll figure it out eventually though if anyone
> wants to reply to that I'm most grateful.
>
> The rest of the plan is to cut and paste the xmldb transformer:
>
> <map:transformers default="xslt">
>   <map:transformer name="xmldb"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.XMLDBTransformer">
>     <driver>org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl</driver>
>     <base>xmldb:xindice://localhost:8888/db</base>
>   </map:transformer>
> </map:transformers>
>
>  from cocoon's sitemap.xmap into my forrest projects
> $project_home/main/webapp/sitemap.xmap.  So now forrest should have a
> connection to xindice.  The wiki has an example called populate.xml but the
> link is broken (maybe someone on the list knows the correct location).
>
> Here is what I think I need to finish this up (purely conjecture):
>
> 1.  A pipeline to handle page requests by turning the into XPATH queries,
> sending the query to the xmldb, and returning the requested XML document.
>
> 2.  A stylesheet to transform the returned document into document-v13 format.
>
> This raises the following question:
>
> Does forrest use whatever version of cocoon my system variable $COCOON_HOME
> is set to or is it bundled with its own cocoon build?  How can I find out
> which version of cocoon forrest is using?

$FORREST_HOME\lib\core\cocoon-XYZ-rABC.jar will give you which Cocoon we're on.