Scott Anderson wrote:
I built a minimal war and ran into deployment issues
with both Jetty and Tomcat...

Jetty
-----
In my first attempt I noticed that Jetty was ignoring
the context name I had specified in
META-INF/context.xml and used the name of the war file
instead.

I don't think we support context.xml (or jetty-web.xml). Instead you can specify the context path in a Geronimo deployment plan - this can be placed inside the war's META-INF directory or supplied as an external plan to avoid modifying the war.

Once I figured this out it also appeared that
Jetty was ignoring the welcome file specified in
WEB-INF/web.xml and showing the contents of the war
directory instead. I noticed in the wiki that there is
an additional descriptor, geronimo-jetty.xml, that I
might need to support. I tried this and also
restarting Geronimo with the configId I had set in
geronimo-jetty.xml and neither attempt was helpful.

You should not need to do that. You can recover the server by copying the file config.list from modules/assembly/src/var/config into the var/config directory of your installation (this resets the runnning config list to what we orginally built) and then start your war using

$ java -jar bin/deployer.jar start ${configid}

BTW, something I did must have corrupted the
deployment module because I soon found I could no
longer deploy at all..

Deployment failed
  Server reports: No deployer present in kernel

Tomcat
------

<snip/> Sorry, I can't help with Tomcat.

I am planning on integrating Apache Pluto with Geronimo and since I do not have any information on how compatible Pluto is with Jetty I think my best bet is to work on getting the Tomcat issues solved. I'd appreciate any suggestions on getting there from here.

Gluecode integrated and certified Pluto 1.0 with Geronimo/Jetty around the M3 timeframe as part of our JOE 1.0 release. All the fixes for that were contributed back to Pluto so it should work. You do need to use the context based registry (not the one that scans the webapp directory) - sorry the name eludes me right now.

I am very interested in getting 1.1 to work but just haven't managed to get to it - is that the version you were thinking of using?

--
Jeremy