Great to hear it!

If you put the web application WAR and EJB JAR together in an EAR,
then the web application classes will automatically be able to see the
EJB classes from the EJB JAR -- no special configuration is necessary.

If you want to deploy the web application WAR and EJB JAR separately,
then the best strategy is usually to put the EJB interfaces in
WEB-INF/classes or in a JAR in WEB-INF/lib so the web app classes can
see the EJB interface classes (and any data transfer object classes
and stuff; but they don't need to see the EJB implementation classes).

In Geronimo, if the WAR and EJB JAR are deployed separately, you could
also list the EJB JAR configId as an <import> in your geronimo-web.xml
and then the web app classes would be able to see the EJB classes even
if they're not included in the WAR -- but this is slightly less
portable because some other servers don't have a similar feature
(whereas the EAR approach or packing the EJB interfaces in the WAR
shoudl work on any server).

All in all, I think the EAR approach is best.

As far as the database pool goes, it doesn't really matter if the EJB
accesses the database pool or if it calls a helper class that accesses
the database pool.  Just make sure that the helper class gets a new
connection from the database pool on every call, and does not try to
save an open connection for future use.  That way, due to some magic
in the pooling implementation*, if 5 EJBs call the helper class at the
same time, the ones in the same transaction will get the same
connection from the pool, and the ones in different transactions will
get different connections from the pool, which is generally the
behavior you want.

Thanks,
    Aaron

* Controlled by the sharable flag in the resource adapter, which
should be enabled by default for the TranQL JDBC pool resource adapter