Good points Tony, thanks. We are delinquent in the crusty bug situation. We'll see if we can sort that out as we get through 1.1.

toby cabot wrote:
Hi David!

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:00:35PM -0800, David Blevins wrote:

So this is the first of what I think should be a quarterly event. Geronimo is ultimately your project and we committers are but your humble servants. To serve you best, we need some critical high level feedback to help us steer the project and focus on what matters most to you!

OK, I'll start with things I like about Geronimo.  At the top of the
list would have to be messages like yours.  Working with the Geronimo
team is a pleasure, and I can't say that about every open source
project that I've worked with.

I like the emphasis on making things "just work."  There's lots to be
done in that area (this is j2ee after all) but over the last couple of
years the dev team has made it a lot easier to deploy and run by
whittling down the complexity of the DD's needed.

I like that the developers think like users.  Example: a couple of
times I've seen deployment messages like "element foo doesn't work
anymore, try element bar."  Projects like Geronimo move fast, so it's
hard to keep up.  Pointers like this help a lot because they point me
in the right direction.

Please, every user out there, give us your top 5 things we can do to make Geronimo better for you.

I think my list will be a little off-the-wall since I'm not going to
focus on features:

1. There are currently 293 unassigned bugs.  A few are mine, and it's
discouraging.  I'd suggest assigning them to a developer quickly, even
if she can't work on them right off the bat.  At least that way I know
that someone's responsible for looking at it.

2. I've lost track of the wiki situation, but it looks as if there are
still two active wikis.  It would be great if these could be merged
into one.

3. Better Javadoc.  Geronimo's code is solid and the architecture is
very robust, but a lot of what makes Geronimo cool gets lost because
it's not documented in places where wanna-be developers can find it.
Javadoc is a fantastic doc system, we really need to take better
advantage of it.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll second the previous
suggestions for more frequent releases.

Thanks!
Toby