Activemq makes a non-string system property that hibernate attempts to cast as a string.

Solutions:
- if you don't use jms, turn off the activemq and activemq-broker modules in your config.xml - use hibernate 3.2 where this problem is supposed to be fixed (I haven't checked) - there's also a system property that will make activemq behave better but I can't find what it is at the moment. If you need it we can look harder.