On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Mark Aufdencamp wrote:

Thanks for the advice David. I'm still using Geronimo 1.1 and haven't even looked at 2.0 yet. MyEclipse is also lacking in support of EJB 3.0 standards.

I have the O'Reilly "Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0" sitting on my desk. I'm mired in that bleeding edge boundary and have been trying to learn the current production (EJB 2.1 and Geronimo 1.1/1.2) method while keeping an eye towards the future (EJB 3.0 and Geronimo 2.0). Having tutorials on the legacy way have significantly influenced my learning direction.

I've presumed that a migration path exists for 2.1x CMP to JPA. I've also looked at Hibernate from the web container as an option. The apps not very big at this point, so I can afford to re-tool it in the next version.

I think you will have to convert any cmp entity beans you have to jpa by yourself. IMO its a much much much better approach to start with jpa if there is any possibility at all. There are quite extensive docs for openjpa, and it only took me a couple of days starting from no jpa knowledge to convert daytrader to jpa using those docs.

I don't have any first hand experience with hibernate but have heard rumors that openjpa performs better. In any case if you go with hibernate I hope you use the jpa interfaces to enable portability.

Does a document exist yet on the geronimo specifics of performing a migration from 1.1/1.2 to 2.0 that discusses the shift from CMP to JPA?

1.2 supports jpa, although you have to tell it about the persistence units and persistent unit refs in a non-spec compliant way. Container manager persistence contexts are available from web and ejb applications.

Not having an IDE based tutorial that takes one through the whole stack with the application server really extends the learning curve!

maybe..... cmp bean mapping stuff could easily be harder to learn with a tutorial than jpa with the openjpa docs.

Anyway, thanks for the answer on the lack of decent XDoclet support.