I'm trying to install a set of global Servlet Filters in Tomcat. I've modified the global Tomcat var/catalina/conf/web.xml configuration and added the references to my filters. But I don't know where to place the class files to make them available to Tomcat during Geronimo startup.

Putting them in the var/shared/lib (or var/shared/classes) didn't work (I get a ClassNotFoundException). I think this means that the Tomcat container doesn't include a dependency to the SharedLib GBean or maybe this dependency isn't fully realized on startup?

I have looked through the attributes of the TomcatWebConnector and some of the other GBeans that are installed by default with Geronimo to see if there was something I could tweak to set an extra bootstrap classpath location, but I haven't found anything.

I could modify the geronimo.bat file to add my classes to the Java classpath during the Geronimo startup, but I'm hoping to find a solution more integrated with Geronimo. I'm also trying to avoid having to re-build Geronimo from source if possible.

Any ideas?

you might be able to put them in a module or web app that you use as a parent of all your other web apps, but since in my experience tomcat starts a default web app I have doubts this will be easy to make work. You would probably have to move most of the gbeans in the tomcat module into your "parent" web app plan. (you can turn off the gbeans in the tomcat module by including load="false" in config.xml for each gbean).

It would probably be simpler to build your own tomcat module and install it instead of the one we ship.

There might be other approaches I haven't thought of.

Daniel.