Hi David,

djencks wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I think how to fix the deployment problems might be described in one of
> the two features I actually documented.
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-run-as-and-default-subjects-and-principal-role-mapping.html

  And here I thought I had read every single page of GMOxDOC21...

  This is an excellent read, though some of it goes "swoosh" over my head.
  It will take another read or two in order for me to digest it all.

djencks wrote:

> I'm attaching an updated plan with what look like plausible changes.

  Looks good.

  In your edition of the deployment plan vis-a-vis the one currently in the
Liferay distro,
  I note that your modifications may be summarized as

    [1] namespace modified from "web-1.1" to "web-2.0.1"

    [2] dependencies:
            j2ee-security
            j2ee-server
            javamail
            rmi-naming       <= removed
            sharedlib
            geronimo-mail
            liferay-pool

    [3] security tag modified

    [4] gbean name="CredentialStore" is new

  Did I miss anything?

  I also note that the namespace specified for the CredentialStore does not
seem to exist,
  meaning http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/credentialstore-1.0.

djencks wrote:

> I haven't been able to figure out what you are trying to deploy with this
> plan from the 4.4.1 downloads, so I'll wait for more input from you.

  If you visited the bundled packages page of Liferay referenced above, then
you see that they are trying to be all things to all people, meaning
supporting just about every platform/configuration possible.

  A noble, if not ambitous effort.

  However, this means that the good folks at Liferay are busy with other
things other than staying current with the rapid development of Geronimo.

  For example, their current disto bundle for Geronimo is stuck at v1.1, and
I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

  That being the case, I wish to assume responsibility myself for syncing
deployment of the Liferay portal onto the Geronimo application server.

  This means determining what is needed to bring the original
Liferay-created deployment plans up to speed with current Geronimo
requirements.

  From what I can determine so far (and please correct me if I am wrong),
that means modifications to:

    - The geronimo deployment plan (in liferay-portal-4.4.1.war)
    - The JDBC connection pool (in
liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool-4.4.1.car)

djencks wrote:

> I think the Roller plugin provides a good model for what you might end up
> with in terms of a reproducible plugin/server build environment.
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/roller/trunk
>
> This shows how to construct switchable database plugins (derby and mysql)
> and constructs roller plugins for jetty and tomcat, and shows how to
> assemble servers around these plugins.
>
> The archetypes I've started should help a lot with setting up projects
> like this.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

  This is perfect!

  I will endeavor to study your Roller plugin model today.

  ...and don't worry, I'm not shy when it comes to questions.

  From what I have read from you so far, I have the impression that your are
eager for informed feedback.

Jim