There are a bunch of problems getting mdbs w/transactions to work. I think I've fixed all of them in activemq and hope to be pushing a new activemq 4.1.2 snapshot in the next few days and these fixes should be available in 2.1.1.

Meanwhile be sure:

the openejp instanceLimit >= maxSessions (maybe setting it to 0 also works, I'm not sure)
the maxMessagesPerSession >= maxSessions

Which transport are you using? I've only tested with the (fixed) vm transport (AMQ-1438)