On May 13, 2008, at 9:55 PM, michaelg wrote:

I am writing an article for IBM developerWorks on using Grails and Geronimo
together. However, I am unable to deploy a Grails WAR to Geronimo.

I first tried it with Geronimo 2.1.1 with Jetty. The error I got was a
NoClassDefFound for org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileItemFactory. This class is the Geronimo repository, and is also included with the Grails war.
It's the same version for both.

Next I tried it with Geronimo 2.1.1 with Tomcat. This time I got a dom4j
InvalidXPathException.

Next I tried the Little G distribution. It worked perfectly. I had also tried standalone Tomcat with success as well, so I guess this should not
have been too surprising.

Obviously I have to point a finger at Grails or Geronimo, and since it works
fine on Tomcat or Little G, I am pointing the finger at Geronimo. The
Geronimo/Jetty error sure smelled like a class loader problem, but I have no
clue on the Geronimo/Tomcat. Note, in all cases I included a Geronimo
deployment plan inside the WAR (/WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml)

It doesn't matter whether the plan is included in the app or supplied externally.

Any ideas/advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm surprised you are seeing different results on "big" and "little" geronimo. You should be getting the same classloader for your app in either server. Would it be possible to share your app so we can take a look at what is going on?

If I was writing an article on geronimo I would structure the project so it consisted of one or more geronimo plugins and would show how to construct a specialized server including those plugins. This is by far easier if you are using maven, which I realize might not fit with the requirements you are working under. There are some instructions on how to do something similar here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Constructing+a+special-purpose+server+using+maven