Yes, that helps a lot. It's not the answer I wanted, but it does answer the
question :).

I guess that means I'll have to play around and see what can be done.

How do separate classloaders work with statics (fields, etc). e.g. If I have
a class A with static field B in the WAR, and again in the EJB jar, will I
have two instances of that field, such that the WAR has one (because it has
it's own separate classloader), and the EJB will have another? If so, then
that's a problem.

I don't know much about Java Beans or Enterprise Java Beans, so this might
be a bit silly, but: Can I put the MDB in the WAR? Or does it *have to* have
it's own JAR?