On Sep 4, 2008, at 10:17 AM, evilclive wrote:

Is there a way of restricting webapp access to certain ports or IP addresses?
I'm thinking of the console app here, but it would apply to others.

The console app istn't set up this way, perhaps it should be.

In jetty its easy to specify ip addresses or web addresses, you can specify a set of hosts or virtual hosts in the geronimo plan, just as strings. In tomcat AFAIK you have to define Host gbeans and I've never figured out how they are supposed to work.

Ports are harder. In tomcat you have to define a whole new server for the new port and specify which server you want each app deployed to. See http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/app-per-port-running-multiple-web-apps-on-different-ports.html . I'm not entirely sure about how to do this with jetty -- defining another server is definitely possible, but there may be a way analogous to the host/virtual-host settings to restrict apps to particular connectors. I'm also not sure this would be accessible in geronimo. Maybe we should push a bit for this in jetty7.

Obviously for anything we write ourselves, an IP address/port filter is easy
- but what about the apps which come with geronimo, eg console?

cheers,
clive