On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:02 PM, John wrote:

Hi All,

I am trying to deploy an ear file to Geronimo 2.1.3. The ear contains a number of dependency jar files, a war, an ejb and the associated descriptors, or so I think.

However, when I attempt to deploy through the admin console, I am getting the following exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: java.lang.NullPointerException
  at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:275)
  at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:133)
at sun .reflect .NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun .reflect .DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl .invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org .apache .geronimo .gbean .runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java: 34) at org .apache .geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124) at org .apache .geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867) at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java: 239) at org .apache .geronimo .deployment .plugin .local.AbstractDeployCommand.doDeploy(AbstractDeployCommand.java:116) at org .apache .geronimo .deployment .plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(DistributeCommand.java:61)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
at org .apache .geronimo .connector .deployment.ResourceRefBuilder.buildNaming(ResourceRefBuilder.java: 127) at org .apache .geronimo .j2ee .deployment .NamingBuilderCollection.buildNaming(NamingBuilderCollection.java:53) at org .apache .geronimo .openejb .deployment.EjbDeploymentBuilder.addEnc(EjbDeploymentBuilder.java:321) at org .apache .geronimo .openejb .deployment.EjbDeploymentBuilder.buildEnc(EjbDeploymentBuilder.java: 292) at org .apache .geronimo .openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.addGBeans(EjbModuleBuilder.java: 764) at org .apache .geronimo .j2ee .deployment .EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:647)
  at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:254)
  ... 12 more

My question is, can anyone give me some ideas on how to track down a vague, non-descript, error such as this?

What I do is look at the source code.

Googling ResourceRefBuilder yields a commit email which leads to e.g.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684

Modifying this to the 2.1.3 branch yields
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.3/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684

which despite the wrong rev id seems to show the correct source.

 Line 127 is

         String type = resourceRef.getResType().getStringValue().trim();

which makes me guess that you've left out the res-type from your resource-ref.

May not be completely ideal but this process usually works for me.

Thanks in advance,
John