On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Juan David wrote:

Hi All

I would like to know how to accomplish shared libraries in the OAS way on
Geronimo.

What I mean by OAS way is the possibility to define a shared library that holds some jars and also can define dependencies with some other libraries.
It is also possible to define a default set of dependencies for the
applications (by adding a dependency to the default application), so every
application deployed will have a set of dependent jars by default. The
application can remove any dependency on the deployment plan and the
administrator can change de dependency for all application without the need
to have new deployments plans for every application and redeploy.

While sharedlib might give you a quick solution it won't help track what depends on what. I'd be leery of having classpath changes not reflected in the deployed artifacts.

You can define "classloader" plugins that simply have a list of dependencies and no services. These dependencies can be jars or other plugins: the classloaders (and plugins) form a directed acyclic graph. Your app can depend on one of these "classloader" plugins and get this classloader as a parent.

I'd recommend changing the version on such a plugin every time you change the contents and using artifact-aliases and the "obsoletes" element to have each new version replace its predecessors. This will give you fairly transparent auditing of exactly what jars your apps are using.

Thanks in advance

JuanDa