What exactly are you doing to try to deploy your datasource? gshell? Command line? admin console? building a plugin via maven and the car- maven-plugin? eclipse?

Gshell, command line and I think eclipse need to know the naming port in order to connect to the server. I think there are --port options ... there should be explanations in the command help.