The best docs I can find at the moment are at the end of this page:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/configuring-run-as-and-default-subjects-and-principal-role-mapping.html

although it concentrates on how to set up default subjects and run-as subjects which most people probably won't have to do.

To summarize, the mapping goes in a <security> element in your geronimo plan (e.g. geronimo-web.xml) and this element contains explicit mappings between the javaee roles defined in your application and the principals produced by whatever login modules you have configured.